Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Some Photography and the Importance of First Impressions

I just wanted to share some of my work with you tonight, as well as some pictures taken of me performing as Sagebrush Rebellion. First I'll explain the context of the snippet I'm going to post.

Beginnings. Beginnings of any creative work are like first impressions. Whether it's the first verse of a song, the first page of a novel, the introduction of an formal article or essay, or the first paragraph of a short story, the first few sentences are crucial. In essays, the first paragraph has to catch the reader's attention as well as state the purpose and point of the entire essay. The introduction in a musical selection must set the tone as well as interest the listener. In a story--short or long like a novel--the introductions are just as crucial.

Imagine these beginnings as a first meeting with someone. In a story or song especially. The listener/reader will be introduced to the cast of characters. One must set up who is the narrator of the work, as well as indict who the audience is, whether that is a general audience (i.e. the World) or a very specific one (i.e. a single person or group of persons, whether named or un-named). The first few moments really count. Imagine you come face to face with a person and you greet them, but they make no reply. More than likely, if they are unresponsive, you will say good-bye and leave. It's the same in writing. There must be a connection made between the narrator and the audience.


In my song Words(just a man), I begin with a simple question, a very effective opener. "Do you remember me?" The vagueness of the person I, as the songwriter and narrator of the song, address is a tool to grabbing the attention of the audience. If you were standing in a room and you heard some one say, "Hey you!" Would you not turn to see if the speaker were addressing you? I continue to create curiosity in the listener's mind by not specifying who I'm talking to, but, instead, continue with questions. "And does my name weigh on your mind like yours does on mine? Or has the sound, too, faded in-time?" This technique is very common in many mediums, and has been quite effective in many situations, however, it is not the right hook in every situation. Knowing what will hook your target audience is something that every writer must find him or herself.

To further illustrate my point, I would like to offer the first paragraph of a story I'm working on called The Joshua Tree.

The joshua tree was dying, which seemed to me a fitting semblance of my life. Its once pine green pods lay on the sand beneath, their husks long ago rotted and shriveling lay , almost obscured by the dead evergreen-like needles and shredded bark that had also sloughed off its trunk and branches. Once, so long ago now, it had risen from the death of the red hot sand to a great, magnificent height, but now it leaned precariously, nearly fallen over from years of fighting the wind. I looked at it a long time, and remembering the first time I'd seen it, recalled how young, proud, and vibrant we'd both been. But now.... Now we were both on our way back to the dust. My skin was wrinkled and sagging, just like its bark. My back hunched over for my age. My hands trembled and shook without stop, and my knees quivered, threatening to give out at any moment. Both of us alone, scorched beneath that merciless sun. Closing my eyes, I picture the first time I saw it, some fifty years ago. 
In this opening paragraph, I use an object--in this case a yucca tree--to mirror the main character and give the reader a teaser into what the story is about by referring to events, unspecified for now, that occurred here at the tree, fifty years or so prior. I think its an effective opening because it opens up a metaphor that will, over the next few pages, continue to liken the main character and the yucca as one, and show how both lifetimes have passed in a similar fashion. I hope it catches attention well. The first sentence, has haunted me for years. To me, its the best first line I could ever write. But, THAT is for the reader to decide.

Now, that we have that lesson out of the way, let me share the new pictures taken of me performing this past weekend (courtesy of Kathy Preuitt).





No comments:

Post a Comment