Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Lowdown on Lewiston

Well, I wanted to tell you and show you a bit of what I've been up to, so maybe you'll forgive me for my LONG absence. I think I may just need to create a new label for these last three blog posts, EXCUSES.

So, my dad and I came up here to move me into an apartment before school started. We got in late on a Thursday night. The next morning while eating breakfast, I saw that a coffee shop/cafe was having an open mic that night. So that night, I went over to The Cafe Sage to see how it was, and ended up performing.
Here's a couple pictures from that night:



Then, the following Monday, I found another open mic at a cafe called La Boheme, the owner Nathanael, welcomed me in warmly, and helped me feel welcome. I ended up playing almost immediately after showing up, and I was quite nervous, being still unaccustomed to the crowd. I did alright. I came back, two weeks later, for the next open mic, that was this last Monday. Here's some pictures from then:




Also, since arriving here, I've practiced with a band every night since joining. They're a grungy indie rock band called Capi Kills Cotton. I'm still entirely unsure what that means exactly. Maybe I'll find out soon. We've done several acoustic concerts together (which I don't have pictures of) at another cafe, Paulucci's.

During my almost month-long residence here, I've met some pretty amazing people. At my first open mic night, I met a really awesome family, the Blacks. The mother took all the pictures you see above. One of the sons, Alex, is an awesome musician. He's a much better guitarist than I, and he has a HUGE voice. The father, is in a metal band. I've only met him briefly, but based on the rest of his family, I assume he's pretty cool himself. The owner of La Boheme, Nathanael, is one of the nicest guys I've met. He also makes a dang good sandwich! Oh, and he plays the meanest fiddle I've ever heard (apart from Charlie Daniels, of course.)

Met some other good musicians as well. But if I named everyone I met, I'd be writing a novel. I have teachers that are great characters as well as church members, etc. Since day one, I've heard my fair share of "You'll learn to hate it heres" and the like, but I find this a great small town. Very friendly, very laid back, and full of opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment